For the longest time, I’ve considered myself a Sherlock Holmes fan. But, until very recently (within the last two years or so) I would be forced to admit that I had not read all the Sherlock Holmes stories. In fact, apart from some of the most well-known titles and three of the four novels, I had not even really read that much at all! So, I made it a point to sit down and read the entire canon, all sixty adventures (56 short stories and four novels).
I think the hardest part for me was simply knowing where to start. So, allow me to take the pressure off and get you started with a quick list of Sherlock Holmes titles in publication order.
Links below are for the ebook versions of each title. However, we have several omnibuses in our collection, including Sherlock Holmes: The Novels and The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume 1 and Volume 2 if you would prefer to read in a paper format.
And if you’re still looking for more, I have a few other lists that might interest you. If you like the writing of Arthur Conan Doyle, consider reading some of his non-Sherlock titles here. You can also find some Sherlock Holmes Adaptations here, and finally, here are some books you might enjoy if you liked The Hound of the Baskervilles.
This is the story that started it all. John Watson returns from Afghanistan in need of lodging. When he is introduced to another bachelor in search a roommate (one Mr. Sherlock Holmes) a friendship for the ages is established. In this adventure, the pair try to discover the secret behind a dead body found in an abandoned house, with “RACHE” written on the wall in blood.
Holmes and Watson are hired by Miss Mary Morstan, who has a very usual tale to tell. Ten years ago, her beloved father died, and ever since, once a year she receives a beautiful, lustrous pearl from an unknown benefactor. Now, the benefactor has reached out to her, asking her to meet with him in person.
- A Scandal in Bohemia
- The Red-Headed League
- A Case of Identity
- The Boscombe Valley Mystery
- The Five Orange Pips
- The Man with the Twisted Lip
- The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle
- The Adventure of the Speckled Band
- The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb
- The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor
- The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
- The Adventure of the Copper Beeches
- Silver Blaze
- The Adventure of the Cardboard Box
- The Yellow Face
- The Stockbroker’s Clerk
- The “Gloria Scott”
- The Musgrave Ritual
- The Reigate Squires
- The Crooked Man
- The Resident Patient
- The Greek Interpreter
- The Naval Treaty
- The Final Problem
Holmes and Watson are hired to investigate the sudden and mysterious death of Sir Charles Baskerville, who, according to family legend, was scared to death by a gigantic, demonic hound. While Holmes does not believe this explanation, he does believe that Sir Charles’ heir, Henry Baskerville, is in grave danger.
- The Adventure of the Empty House
- The Adventure of the Norwood Builder
- The Adventure of the Dancing Men
- The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist
- The Adventure of the Priory School
- The Adventure of Black Peter
- The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton
- The Adventure of the Six Napoleons
- The Adventure of the Three Students
- The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez
- The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter
- The Adventure of the Abbey Grange
- The Adventure of the Second Stain
Conan Doyle’s final Sherlock Holmes novel. Holmes and Watson investigate a death that they cannot determine if it is murder or suicide. But, it soon becomes clear to the genius detective that there is a secret organization behind it.
- The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
- The Adventure of Bruce-Partington Plans
- The Adventures of the Devil’s Foot
- The Adventure of the Red Circle
- The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax
- The Adventure of the Dying Detective
- His Last Bow
- The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone
- The Problem of Thor Bridge
- The Adventure of the Creeping Man
- The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire
- The Adventure of the Three Garridebs
- The Adventure of the Illustrious Client
- The Adventure of the Three Gables
- The Adventure of the Blanched Solider
- The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane
- The Adventure of the Retired Colourman
- The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger
- The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place