I Am Yoga written by Susan Verde and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds is the perfect way to introduce mindfulness and yoga to a young child. It is never to early to teach your child about self-care. I Am Yoga introduces mindfulness in a non-threatening and easy to understand story. The story also focuses on breathing to relieve stress.
After reading I Am Yoga, your child can make their own breathing wand. This is a great visual to encourage children to take deep breaths. Deep breathing can help your child regulate their emotions.
- Two toilet paper tubes
- Scotch Tape
- Tissue Paper (or other lightweight paper)
- Cut a 1″ section from one of the toilet paper tubes (you will need an adult help with this step)
- Decorate the outside of the full tube and the 1″ piece with crayons or markers.
- Tape the 1″ piece of tube to the open end of the full size tube.
- Cut 3 or 4 thin strips of tissue paper.
- Tape the each tissue paper strip separately to the inside of the 1″ paper tube.
Your breathing wand is complete. Now blow into the 1″ piece of tube and watch the tissue paper move. You can blow a strong breath or a light breath. How does the tissue paper move?