Pet Show written and illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats is a heartwarming story of a young boy, Archie, wanting to enter his beloved cat in the neighborhood pet show. The pet show quickly arrives and Archie can’t find his cat anywhere. All of the neighborhood children enter their pets in the pet show. Archie finally finds a pet to enter in the pet show, but it is not his cat.
You can share this easy and entertaining goldfish craft with your child after reading Pet Show.
- Egg carton (not Styrofoam)
- Orange craft paint
- Paint brush
- Orange tissue paper
- Pink pipe cleaner
- 2 Small white pom pom
- Black marker
- Cut one, two or several cups from the egg carton. Make sure the edges are smooth, so your goldfish will sit nicely on the table. Help from a caring adult will be needed for this step.
- Paint the egg cup(s) orange and let dry.
- While paint is drying, cut two small rectangles (fins) and one slightly larger rectangle (tail) from the tissue paper.
- Scrunch up all three rectangles. When egg cup is dry glue the two smaller rectangles to the side of the cup (you will likely need to tuck it under and inside of the cup) and the larger rectangle to the back of the cup (use the picture as your guide).
- Glue the white pom poms about 1/2″ apart to the outside of the cup on the opposite side of the tail.
- Using the black marker draw a small black dot in the middle of each white pom pom.
- Wind the pipe cleaner into a small circle and glue to the egg cup just slightly lower and in the middle of the pom poms.
- Congratulations! Your Bright Goldfish is finished.