We will be celebrating New Year’s soon and Shanté Keys and the New Year’s Peas written by Gail Piernas-Davenport and illustrated by Marion Eldridge is just the book to share with your child this holiday.
Shanté and her family realize they don’t have their New Year’s peas. Shanté is sent on a mission to find peas in time for the holiday. On her adventure she realizes not everyone celebrates the New Year with New Year’s Peas. Share this story with your child and learn some new traditions. As an added bonus there is a recipe for Grandma Louise’s Hoppin’ John included in the book.
New Year’s Popper Craft
- One piece of colored cardstock
- One toilet paper tube
- Crayons or Markers
- Ribbon (any color)
- Multiple colors of construction paper
- Decorate the toilet paper tube, be creative.
- Glue the paper tube on an angle, to the cardstock (as shown in the picture).
- Glue the ribbon to the bottom of the tube (you want to secure the ribbon to the inside of the tube and glue it to the cardstock).
- Cut several small circles from the colored construction paper.
- Glue the circles above the tube (as illustrated) in any design you like.
Have a Happy New Year!!!