Welcome back to Read It, Make It! This post will celebrate Spring with an additional flower craft. As in the past, Read It, Make It pairs a children’s book with a simple craft. Reading and crafting are great ways to spend quality time with your child. Crafts are often overlooked as a valuable activity. Crafting encourages imagination and helps your child develop fine motor skills.
Our book today is An ABC of Flowers written and illustrated by Jutta Hilpuesch. An ABC of Flowers contains beautiful photographs of flowers starting with A and ending with Z. You and your child will definitely learn the names of some new flowers.
- Construction Paper-Multiple Colors, including green
- Pipe Cleaners
- Vase (you could use a mason jar or decorate a tin can)
- Cut several heart shapes from the construction paper, you will need three hearts for each flower.
- Cut leaves from the green construction paper, at least two for each stem.
- Hold three heart shapes together and poke a hole through the pointy end of all three hearts(a caring adult may need to assist with this step). This step will hold the heart together and form a flower.
- Twist the pipe cleaner into a little ball on top of the hearts to secure them together.
- Slide a bead up the length of each pipe cleaner and fit it tight against the back of the hearts.
- Glue the paper leaves in place on the pipe cleaner “stem”
Now you can display your beautiful flowers in a vase for everyone to enjoy!